Pigmented yet very light on the lip: NARS Powermatte Lip Pigment - American Woman, Walk This Way, Just What I Needed, Under My Thumb, Just Push Play




[PHOTO-HEAVY POST]

Finally I am writing about this NARS Powermatte Lip Pigment.

If I am not wrong this is the second liquid lipstick the brand has ever launched, with the first one being the Velvet Lip Glide, which gives a more glossy finish that I do not like. This time round they come up with a matte formula and more shades suitable for daily wear.

I read the brochure of this product and here is what it claims:

"Introducing an innovative formula of our most powerful matte yet. Fluid Pigment Complex, liquefied pigment with a zero gravity feel, introduces infinite matte color saturation with ultra-flexible long-wear. Matte. Empowered."

True enough, the formula is indeed very runny and feels really light on the lip but at the same time without compromising on the color pay-off. Even at such thin consistency, the color applies really opaque so not to worry even if you have dark lip color. Also thanks to it being liquid-y, it is very easy to sheer out for a softer, less-intense lip color.

On a side note, I was told to shake well before use and there is also such graphical instruction printed on the packaging. My guess is that they have probably cut down the stabilizer in order to achieve this kind of fluidity hence separation might occur if it is not used for a period of time. Any way, just remember to shake well before applying them to your lip.

One common issue for matte liquid lipstick is definitely being drying. I would not say this formula is completely non-drying because that is simply impossible due to the nature of matte liquid lipstick, but it is really comfortable on the lip that I can wear it for long hours without any issues.

Although the formula has a really thin consistency, it takes a while to dry completely and I actually kinda appreciate that. Slow drying means more time to carefully line the lip and this is especially important when it comes to darker shades. I also noticed that this Lip Pigment does not seem to dry completely even after it has turned matte. I did a kiss test on the back of my hand 10 minutes after applying and there was still slight transfer observed.

Longevity wise, it is long-wearing only if you do not eat or drink at all. The color will still come off after a few meals throughout the day but in a gradual way though. That said, you can always touch up the part where color has worn off as the already-dried part will not mess up with the freshly applied pigment.




 

I picked up 5 shades from the line: (L-R) Walk This Way, American Woman, Under My Thumb, Just What I Needed, Just Push Play. The last two shades are NARS boutique exclusives.






Each tube contains 5.5ml (0.18 fl.oz) and retails for RM97 each.





It comes with a doe-foot applicator.






The other side of the applicator is slightly slanted and that is where the product is picked up. Refer to the following photo:







The tip is also slightly pointy that it makes lining really easy.

Next, let's see the swatches.






Walk This Way
Official shade description: rose pink






Freshly applied






Dried.

This is a very spring shade which I think looks best on fair to light skin tone.





 
American Woman
Official shade description: chestnut rose 





 

Freshly applied






Dried.

I guess this is also a very popular shade as it seems to look great on most skin tones? It is the perfect shade that is suitable for various occasions.






Just What I Needed
Official shade description: burnished rose






Freshly applied








Dried.
Is it just me but I find this shade quite similar to the out-of-stock-everywhere shade Slow Ride? This is the shade to wear if you are going for grunge style but obviously my wardrobe has nothing close to that. :x However, I tried to sheer it out and the color turned out soooooooo nice! See the last few photos.






Just Push Play
Official shade description: red currant







Freshly applied







Dried.

OH THIS RED.

I was struggling between Just Push Play and Starwoman because both are stunning. There are a few Reds for this Lip Pigment and I believed they had hard time deciding which one to launch too hence they launched all of them LOL.

Starwoman is a really gorgeous, red-carpet-appropriate vivid true red while Just Push Play is a more warm-tone red with hint of orange/yellow. I do not have many events to attend hence I chose Just Push Play which I think will be nice even for just casual days.






Under My Thumb
Official shade description: burgundy






Freshly applied







Dried.

Seriously how is this shade related to Burgundy?! LOL

This is a very special red as it has hint of purple in it (see photo below) but not too much that it becomes very purplish and less wearable. Being a cooler-tone red, it also compliments fair to light skin tones by making you look fairer than you are in actual.





 
Side-by-side full-intensity swatches: 
(L-R) Just What I Needed, Walk This Way, American Women, Under My Thumb, Just Push Play.






Sheer and blended.

I love love love this sheer version of Just What I Needed.






I was really surprised by how Under My Thumb turned from a red to a fuchsia. Not really a fan of this fuchsia though... As for Just Push Play, it will look great on Fall/Winter season but the sheer version is simply perfect for Spring/Summer time. Great for gradient lip too!





--

I was trying to think of the cons of this Powermatte Lip Pigment and I truly have nothing to say with regards to the formula. If you are still considering of getting it, hesitate no more and just buy it. You will not be disappointed. ;)

Not sponsored in any ways, I purchased all of them with my own money and all of the above are my own honest opinions. Thanks for reading!





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe