Are they worth every penny? Two of my favoritestest liquid eyeliners: FLOWFUSHI MOTE LINER & D.U.P Silky Liquid Eyeliner



Eyeliner plays an important role in any eyelooks but it takes up such a small portion of it that any differences among various eyeliners are just hardly noticeable. This probably explains why companies seldom include eyeliner in any product launch since there really is not much interesting variations that can be made to eyeliner, apart from colors, and finishes?

Ultimately, all we want is simply eyeliner that will not smudge and pigmented enough to show up for its purpose.

I do not spend a ton on high-end eyeliner because I find drugstore eyeliners works as well for my purpose if not even better than some high-end ones. During one of my trip to Taiwan, I came across this Japanese brand called Flowfushi and I picked up the Mote Liner, which together with mascara were very hyped up in Taiwan back then. It was priced at NT550, which converted to around RM76.

DAS ESSSPENSIVE.

I bought it anyway since I really wanted to know what the hype is all about.

Back in Malaysia, I spotted this D.U.P Silky Liquid Eyeliner next to the Cashier of Guardian when I was making payment. D.U.P is famous for their false eyelashes glue but I did not know they carry eyeliner too. It is freaking RM59.90 for one eyeliner but I bought it because it has that 1st place sticker on it lol. That is almost like a quality assurance sticker and I reckon anything with that sticker normally works well.

I thought it would be helpful to share the differences and similarities of these two eyeliner since they are so similar and EXPENSIVE.




 
The D.U.P Silky Liquid eyeliner is housed in a transparent plastic case; FLOWFUSHI Mote Liner comes concealed in a thick, plastic-foil type bag like a sheet mask.

D.U.P Silky Liquid Eyeliner comes in black, brown black and natural brown. Unfortunately the packaging is all in Japanese but you can differentiate among different colors by the color of the packaging: 
Fuchsia - black; 
greyish brown - brown black; 
reddish brown - natural brown.

Mote Liner is available in 4 colors: black, brown, brown-black and navy-black. The packaging is color-coded too but they have very thoughtfully state the color name in English.





D.U.P Silky Liquid Eyeliner has some claims stated on the back of the packaging:
- Water, sweat and oil-resistant
- It comes with a fine tip that applies smoothly
- Fast-drying
- Contains skin-care ingredients
- Pigment does not stain the eyelid.

The FLOWFUSHI Mote Liner has a mini brochure in Japanese and there are also similar claims on it:
- NO PANDA EYE: basically means smudge-proof
- NO DYES: I do not really understand this but I guess it is about not using dye that will stain the eyelid.
- EASY-OFF: Easily removed
- MAKEUP & CARE: With skincare ingredients





Top: FLOWFUSHI MOTE Liner (1500yen)
Bottom: D.U.P Silky Liquid Eyeliner (1300yen)

I picked up brown-black color for both of them as this color is less common and I have had wayyyyyyy too many black eyeliner in my vanity.

The FLOWFUSHI Mote Liner comes in octagonal stick form (in gorgeous metallic copper color!!) that feels quite heavy for an eyeliner while the D.U.P one is just normal plastic packaging.

Both come with brush tip of similar size. The sharp tip allows very precise application so you can fill in the gap between lashes really easily. Also, you can draw either a very thin or thick line in just one stroke with the brush tip. I find that the brush of Mote Liner is slightly softer therefore you can draw slightly thicker line with this liquid eyeliner. 




 

Left: FLOWFUSHI MOTE Liner (1500yen)
Right: D.U.P Silky Liquid Eyeliner (1300yen)

Although both are marketed as brown-black color, they are not the same AT ALL. As you can see MOTE Liner is darker and did live up to its name as brown-black color whereas the D.U.P eyeliner gears towards dark-brown color. That said, you need to draw a really thick line to see the difference on eye though.

If you look closely, you might notice that the color of the two thick lines is uneven and it is more obvious with the D.U.P eyeliner. I believe they designed this product in such a way that the ink comes out evenly from the tip hence when you press the brush tip hard to create a thicker line, the ink comes out not only from the tip but from the sides too and that is why at some points more ink comes out and therefore resulting in an uneven-color line. To avoid this, draw only thin line and keep on building up until you reach the thickness you want.

The biggest problem that most people hate about eyeliner is definitely smudging. Nobody wants to look like a panda at the end of the day. No? Both of them lasted so well on my eyes! I have greasy eyelids but even without my trusty UD Primer Potion, THEY DID NOT SMUDGE AT ALL. Experimented with oil-based makeup remover and true enough, they were easier to remove with just water.

They can be removed with cleansing water too with but I noticed that the ink of D.U.P eyeliner dissolves in cleansing water but not the Mote Liner. The latter will come off as flakes/crumbs hence it can be a little messy during the process. However, thanks to this non-water-soluble property, Mote Liner is probably more sweat- or tear-proof as it does not come off without some rubbing. D.U.P also comes off slightly easier than Mote Liner indicating poorer water resistance.

I am glad that these two eyeliners perform so well on my eyes. However, the performance of eyeliner varies greatly between individuals hence I cannot guarantee that this will work for everybody. 



Just a summary to conclude this comparison:

- Price
FLOWFUSHI > D.U.P

- Availability
D.U.P (Selected Guardian store) > FLOWFUSHI (unavailable in Malaysia)

- Color
FLOWFUSHI (true brown-black); D.U.P (dark brown)

- Colour selections
FLOWFUSHI (4 colors) > D.U.P (3 colors)

- Drying time
FLOWFUSHI = D.U.P 

- Smoothness of ink flow
FLOWFUSHI = D.U.P 

- Lasting powder
FLOWFUSHI = D.U.P

- Ease of removal
D.U.P > FLOWFUSHI



Personally I prefer the Mote Liner slightly more due to the color but I am happy to have another alternative since D.U.P is readily available in my local stores and cheaper too! I will definitely repurchase these eyeliners once they run out.





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe